The new plinth
The foot fixing
A foot and deck fixing
Detail of the arm plate fixing
An original review, click the image to read it
Julian who had an ex-BBC with a separate control panel made from what looked like reject Dr Who props, after we took his SP-10 back to standard condition and restored 45 and 78rpm said :
"I got the deck and PSU this
morning and have set them up. It works brilliantly.
The new plinth with a SME V arm
A close up of the SME V fixing
Technics SP-10 Mk II
Martin Colloms reviewed the SL1000 in the 1978 book "Hi-Fi Choice No. 12, Turntables and Tone Arms" , to see it click here (1.6mb pdf). In its day at £1000, it was twice as expensive at the LP12 and Ittock, making the comparative price now well over £35,000!
Why spend money on your SP-10 MKII ?
Because it's worth it! Some of the most expensive turntables in the world use direct drive and we are talking $100K+ here! The SP-10 is engineered to last for ever and coupled with a good arm and expensive cartridge, it takes an awful lot to come close!
Service your SP-10 MKII
NOTE: As of January 2014 we are not taking on any more SP-10 work except for a basic service. So if your SP-10 has a fault, and most do, then we are sorry we cannot help.
Just like your car, the SP-10 will age and needs adjusting to keep running perfectly. We believe that at about 20 years old, no SP-10 that has not been properly serviced, is going to work anywhere near the manufacturer's specification. Imagine driving your car every day for 20 years, never changing the oil, never changing the tyres, never changing the spark plugs, you get the idea?
Technics provide an incredibly detailed service manual, but it only tells you how to repair one if it is faulty, not how to adjust a used one. Enter the BBC, who had shed loads of them working long hours every day. The clever men at the BBC Engineering Department came out with a service schedule, much like your car. We have this elusive documentation and combined it with our own experience. We believe that no one can perform the level of service that we do.
of 3 motor capacitors with Panasonic FC low ESR capacitors; this is an
essential modification as every deck will need this, it restores the
motor drive back to how Panasonic intended it. £115.00
4. The works! Modifications 1,2 &3 above normally £315.00, combined price £295.00
5. Replace start/stop micro switch with new Japanese original manufacturer (Omron). Often these have worn and give intermittent operation. £95.00
• Electrical repair. We are able to repair most faults. We recommend the above essential work which also cures most speed instability problems. The additional cost could be as little £180 to replace the motor driver transistors (will only start if you give it a push) or up to £300 for something serious (this has not yet occurred!). We will assess any turntable sent to us for a modest £50 if required, and then quote a firm price for repair/renovation.
• Mechanical repair. Occasionally the rotors rub on the stator. This requires some careful mechanical re-work. We do not touch the platter as it is pre-balanced and should not be altered. Mechanical work starts at £100 and tops out at about £350.
• Beware. There are some people that believe you can repair anything simply by changing all the electrolytic capacitors, as if nothing else fails or goes out of adjustment! There are no capacitors in a SP-10 that will stop it working, they will diminish the performance, but it will still work. In replacing capacitors, we have seen damage and additional faults put on units. Play safe, send it to the professionals, send it to us!
Restore your SP-10 MKII
You might have bought your SP-10 from a radio broadcast studio, and you will need a plinth and an arm, and maybe a power supply. We can supply almost anything, just ask?
• Complete new solid 30mm wood base with SME arm plate £699.00 (in stock now)
• Complete new 30mm marble base. Marble is a much better material than slate, it is low Q , does not ring and damps very well. The Japanese who are masters of Direct Drive have always used marble.
• Complete new 30mm Indian Granite base.
• Complete new solid 30mm (black or silver) aluminium anodised base. SME 9" £795.00 SME 12" £895.00
• Perspex platter/arm dust cover £95.00
• Strip original paint finish and refinish turntable in silver or black, if stripped and sent to us £280.00. Or we will strip, refinish and reassemble for £795.00. Black is good as the SME V and arm plate comes in black.
• Replacement power supply £595.00 (in stock now)
9" arm £1,990
• Strobe repair. We replace the fragile neon tube with one large hand cut and polished LED in orange, exactly the same colour as the neon ( we can do, yellow, green, blue or red at no extra charge). This is a time consuming but very satisfying modification that gives better illumination and greater sharpness than the original. There is a lifetime guarantee on this modification and also if your 140V supply was not working, it isn't used any more. £195.00
• Platter screws made from nonmagnetic stainless steel £49.95 a set of three.
Restore your SH-10E Power Unit
This isn't very economical, it's better and cheaper to buy a completely new PSU. However, if originality is your thing, then we can rework your power supply. We change every capacitor for brand new Panasonic FC's and replace anything that needs replacing. We ensure that the 140V is working properly as this is the cause of most strobe failures. You get a 1 year warrantee at a cost of £595.00
BBC and ex broadcast SP-10 MKII
If you have a BBC or similar version you might need an external unit shown below to start and stop your SP-10. We can disable this so that you don't need it at all, or maybe you didn't get one, for £175.00
If you have the very large power supply shown below, with the external pitch control, you may have noticed that you may only get 33rpm, in fact there won't even be any micro switches under the push buttons! You can test this before buying, pressing the 33/45/78 buttons should give a nice 'click'. No click means no micro switches installed! After our modifications you can use the old power supply unit and hide it out of the way with our extension cable? Or upgrade to our new unit? Here is what is required:
The cost for 'a to f'
inclusive is £495.00
• Dust Covers.
Universal platter and arm cover, made from very expensive glass finish Perspex £95.00
• Platter mat I This gunmetal platter mat is designed for the SP-10. Weighing 2.0 Kg, the additional mass does increase the kinetic energy stored by the platter. Whilst at the same time affording very effective damping of the unwanted resonance that metal platters can contribute, thus improving the sound of vinyl replay. The gunmetal mat also provides a more appropriate impedance match allowing energy imparted into the vinyl by the stylus to be dissipated away harmlessly. Gunmetal is an alloy of copper, tin, and zinc. It is in reality quite soft and damps a turntable platter very well as Micro Seiki discovered. Used mats sell for over £400 so why buy used when new is cheaper ! Unlike some copper mats, this one produces no static. £249.95
• Platter mat II
is made from finely
textured, open-cell silicone foam, this mat has unsurpassed
vibration-absorbing characteristics and no resonant qualities to
discolour the music. Records are thoroughly decoupled from unwanted
Click here for more details of these spectacular upgrades, your SP-10 really deserves this !
SP-10's for sale
You can buy a SP-10 from eBay and hope it works properly, then you can send it to us for a service, but you will have no guarantee and it's a very time intensive and tedious process. At best you will have a bargain and at worst an expensive deck for spare parts.
We buy in SP-10's for spares and to refurbish and resell, we also re-manufacture spare parts. Right now we have:-
• SP-10MK II fully serviced by us, original "as is" finish for £1,895.00 guaranteed for 5 years. You will need a PSU, our 5 year guarantee brand new one is £599.00
• SP-10MK II fully serviced by us, chassis refinished as new and the edge of the platter polished. Guaranteed for 5 years including our £599 PSU. £2,690 These are made to order, we have everything in stock though.
• SP-10 MK II in a solid hardwood, marble, granite or aluminium plinth with any arm of your choice, set up and guaranteed for 5 years. Prices from £3,000